The FBI is assisting in a shooting investigation after three adults were killed outside a San Diego mosque complex. The attack is is being treated as a possible hate crime by local police.
Two teenage suspects were found dead nearby from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. The mother of one of the suspects in Monday’s shooting warned police earlier in the day that her son had run away, taken multiple weapons and may be suicidal.
She added that the teen had left with a companion, and that both were wearing camouflage clothing, police said.
Officers were fanning out across the city looking for the teens when reports came in of the midday shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
Police found three adults killed at the mosque compound. One was a security guard, whom police credited with stopping the shooting from being much worse.
Nearby, after receiving calls about shots fired at a landscaper, police found the two dead male suspects, 17 and 18, in a car.
Investigators found anti-Islamic writing in the vehicle with the suspects, and the words ‘hate speech’ were written on a weapon used in the attack, law enforcement sources told The New York Times.